Monday, May 10, 2010

Hallelujah! We have Western Redbuds from Seed


After three tries, I have finally germinated Cercis occidentalis. As luck would have it, my father-in-law has a tree at his home in California so I have had an ongoing seed supply just so long as I remember to ask in time for seed collection. Last year, I was able to to collect the seeds myself when I went down to visit my husband who's been working there at the vineyard for part of the year.

I am so excited to see these sprout up. Since the picture was taken last week, two more have appeared and they are all growing well now that our temperatures are going up around here. I love springtime in Oregon when we have rain, then sun, then rain, then sun again. It makes seed starting go so well.

Will keep one of these around for many years if I am able to do so. From here on out, this will all be new to me, but this isn't my first Cercis from seed, nor will it be my last. Luckily, these warm-weather western native shrub/trees can grow here in Oregon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...