Friday, February 7, 2014

Pacific Northwest Flower & Garden Show (An Introduction)

It's been a few years but I'm back! Coming up here to Seattle from Portland has reminded me why I missed coming to the Pacific Northwest Flower & Garden Show so much. I guess it'd been so long I'd nearly forgotten. Sure I missed one heck of a snow storm, but it was worth it. 

Here are a few highlights with more posts to come because I'm still really enjoying the show. I'm going to seminars, and after I hit "publish" I'm off to look at some books. (Later tonight I'll return to the restaurant where I first learned how to eat with chopsticks as a teen—but that's another post.)
The show in Seattle is just edgy enough to have a neon-style light in a log on the ground in the garden. I have no idea yet how much this would cost, but I want it. 
There is glass here. This is Chihuly Territory after all and his work has inspired many to take up the craft and I'm eternally grateful for their work.
There is nothing more reminiscent to me of the PNW style than huge trees and rusty metal. This is a refined nod to the logging industry if ever I saw one and to the great resource which although now managed, is something that still inspires awe in all who experience it. That's why each and every year the ancient woods are brought into the convention center. I've missed these homages.
Whimsy? Not always my thing but I burst out laughing when I saw this bat house. My former foster children would have loved this.
There is always something that appeals to the over-the-top Italian side of me. This garden display cured my wintertime blues and made me crave a glass of limoncello.
As someone who specialized in modernism as an art history student I understand it and its midcentury relative well. It's not my style because I'm too wild and flamboyant to live in it, but I love seeing it and being in it when it's in another's home.

It's calming to see the lines all "just right".
 Seeing the simplest joys and pleasures on display here make me tingle.
Then there is what I would do. Luckily I cannot afford a giant glass pavilion with an art orchid made of glass and metal in it. Was it my favorite display garden? Yes. The huge glass Sarracenia? Well what do you think? This was amazing to behold. It could be in a museum.
I should add that I come here for the hotel too—at least this time around. Let's just say that my husband really likes to spoil himself with a nice hotel so this trip I actually have marble tile on my bathroom floor. Did the show spoil us rotten with a great discount at the Fairmont Olympic? Absolutely. Will I take high tea tomorrow with our extra discount? Definitely.
I think one of these is going home to the family house on the river. It only seems appropriate when you have salmon spawning behind your house.
Not something I'd put in my garden, but I would love to see these in lieu of other options in other gardens. Variety is good. I think they're fun and I would love to slam that arrow on the front of my house so that people would walk around that way but it might be an overstatement. (I'm pretty sure there might be something more "subtle" I could do too.)
Miniature gardens are in the show as well. They aren't for me, but my husband is now eager to make a few. I'm excited to see what he makes and I would love to have one. I just wouldn't know where to begin. John has loved other types of miniatures for years so I know he'll make something wonderful.
This is a stake you can add to a planter pot and I loved it. (Gotta have my bling.) We do live in a rainy region so we might as well celebrate it.
Yesterday I didn't buy much but I came back to the hotel last night after a long day with a few free plants from a reception. I was grateful.
My husband John got to take a silly picture of me. That's his takeaway from the event. (You can tell I'm amused.) I'm afraid this is a word that pops out of my mouth from time to time and he does tease me about it a lot. Again, I love the silliness.
Then there is ikebana too.

I miss making arrangements but I'll be back at it again soon.

(More to come with A LOT more detail. I just wanted to post a few pictures.) 

9 comments:

  1. Great to see your pictures and to hear that you're having such a blast. Sorry I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so sorry we missed you too. We will meet up again soon I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. So many interesting things at that show, I really like the glass Saraccenia, and the beautiful drop on the tep is real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great overview! Glad you had fun...now get home safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loree! Will try to get the huge group up later tonight. As for getting home, we'll do our best.

      Delete
  4. I like seeing the show in small doses like this. The fancy hotel certainly rounds out the experience. Now I know what to do with those lichen covered branches I can't resist picking up on my walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lichen ball too! It was another favorite of mine and I will post it soon. As for the small doses, I agree. I didn't want to slam my blog with pics. I like eye candy as much as the next reader, but I need to practice better editing. I'm working hard now to become the editor and writer I already know I am. (PS: The fancy hotel is amazing. The cost to us was a great value too. I hope they offer it again next year.)

      Delete
  5. great to see all these picture from you people who actually go places. thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The show was so much fun! Thanks for this post of some of the cool stuff there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...