Sunday, September 18, 2011

Back Home from San Francisco, Back to Reality

Back in our super quiet house (eerily so), with no foster respite children this weekend, I am dealing with the onslaught of rain, an elderly unwell feline family member, a pinch of jealousy that my husband is in New York City, and then there is this huge 20 pounds of furry feline in my lap that is the cat we call Maurice. He is stuck to me like glue! I guess that's my punishment for leaving him here.

On the bright side, at least I was able to see my eldest niece this weekend, her boyfriend, and one of my nieces' oldest childhood friends who spent many nights with my husband and I and both of the girls when they were kids. How I love their never-ending need to make things! How I couldn't stop laughing when our niece and her boyfriend discussed picking out some houseplants for their new place together. Then came the immense amount of pride I felt when they were excited to hear about Uncle P's successes this year. 
Morning Glory growing in a planter near the San Remo Hotel in San Francisco. 
Unpacking went well, but packing up to return home was not easy. My bags gained several extra pounds apiece and lugging luggage, I've realized now, is not my favorite activity. That being said, in the future, I plan to drive back down there. It is so less stressful than flying and the adventure of it is a great deal more fun.
Closeup of the amazing Morning Glory in the alley near our hotel in San Francisco.
This is a post of some odds and ends from the trip, and it's a bit about my state of mind I suppose. As I told my husband, it is odd to be constructing a Californian identity. Sure I am still a tourist crashing at a friend's house, but at what point does that change? I don't really know, but it obviously has something to do with my husband's being down there all of the time.
I think this is the strangest pruning job I've ever seen of an Asparagus fern.
Walking the streets all over the Bay Area you see so many amazing plants. Driving I saw even more but I couldn't take as many shots as I'd wanted.
Trailing Rosemary creates a great effect if you can pull it off correctly. 
Ok, so here's the real deal with this post. It's a confession too. I stuffed my pockets silly with seeds whenever I could and I am posting the evidence.
Some of these seeds are new to me, and others I have grown before.
My daily Ikebana project also added to my luggage.
Arranging the seeds and drying them really did slow me down but I am thankful many of them are ready to go.
Using origami envelopes made the picking much more convenient.
Back at home, unpacked, but still getting back into gear, I took this photo while sitting out back under the willow arbor with the kids young adults. I love them for not teasing me about all of the envelopes with seeds stuffed into them that are all over our house. It makes me happy to know that to the girls, what I do is somehow normal, and is expected of me.
I am Auntie Annie—the seed snatcher! Oh yeah, and welcome back autumn. Now let's get on with this so I can get back to springtime asap. 

5 comments:

  1. Love that you're a seed-snatcher and your relatives expect it of you! Hope you get some great plants from those seeds. I'm having a hard time getting back to blogging after my anniversary trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,
    I think I know what you mean. There are so many things to do here at home that were left on hold. Besides, the weather isn't exactly inspirational is it? (Your trip looked wonderful by the way. Congratulations!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said about preferring to drive really resonates with me. Flying has become such a terribly unenjoyable expeierence. The "Friendly Skies": ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does take awhile to get back into the swing of things, doesn't it? I love your seed collection. I hope everyone of them germinates. Love that trailing rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Auntie Annie! Seed Snatcher. That's good. Love the trailing rosemary. Coming back home is always hard. How does luggage gain weight? Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...