Sunday, April 24, 2011

Top 12 To-Do List for the 2011 Growing Season

There's nothing I'd enjoy more than to complete the many tasks on any one of the lists floating around this house. As a recovered perfectionist, it has pained me greatly to become so physically unable to do so many simple things. But I'm not giving up—and neither should any of you—when swelling or any other kind of chronic malady shows up to bring dark clouds to an otherwise sunny day. I know that when you cannot work, you cannot hire help, but that doesn't mean that you should let it all pile up as I so often do. Things need to be tackled, and when they are tackled, you beat that obstacle and are better prepared for whatever else is coming your way.

(If you are not a gardener struggling with chronic illness, I am pretty sure you have these lists too. If you are able-bodied, and willing to help, think about offering a hand to help another gardener in need. For you too may be there someday.)
  1. COVER. Add a larger covered area of some kind, any kind, to the backyard to encourage the cats to recreate outdoors more often. I'd like to have a place back there too. Kids might even figure out that's it's fun. We will see.
  2. SHELTER. Enclose the small shed attached to the garage/storage studio and throw out its contents. Consider using the large inherited kiln in this space. The pile of salvaged wood stored in the garage/studio is sure to come in handy for this task.  
  3. DEFENSE. Get around to having a gorgeous fence made in the backyard and add a small deck platform to it. After all this time, I'd like to finally say goodbye to that apartment building once and for all. 
  4. POWER. Add electrical outdoors outlets since there is not a single one in sight! 
  5. GUIDANCE. Clean all paths in the garden from my many piles of debris. Get rid of broken pots. Throw away anything that is not vital to the completion of my goals. No empty planters. Sell them or give them away.
  6. STRUCTURE. Make things and things with happen. The fact that our cement stucco home terrifies me is a big hinderance to the completion of this task.
  7. EDIT. Be brave and remove plants that show little improvement. Others WILL take their place. I have a pile of those too.
  8. VIEW. Buy a projector so we can watch movies with the kids in the backyard this summer. They are so often denied such luxuries and it is such a perfect fit for all involved. 
  9. DIRECTION. Better define how the garden functions with more hardscaping projects completed. 
  10. SOLID. Finish up the back porch. It's an eyesore in concrete and it needs to be pebble mosaic. 
  11. HANG. That's right. Hang all the items I need to hang, and get over my fear of masonry.
  12. COLOR. Color me concrete. Paint the architectural details on the front porch and garage/studio and consider repainting the front porch. Finally!
Hope you're all making your lists too!
Pieris japonica 'Valley Valentine.'



3 comments:

  1. That's quite a list...began mine this week and have ticked of a couple of things...each sunny day I am home I try to do one thing...but that is just my garden list...the indoor and work list are growing too...hmmm...how to cut down on my lists perhaps is next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea. I have lists too. Looks like you have some construction items on your list. They all sound like great project which you will benefit from. Here's to completing the lists!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your projector idea! Best wishes on your list! You have great plans for your gardens :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...