Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Happy Blogoversary! Amateur Bot-ann-ist Turns 5 and Ficurinia Celebrates with Some Prickly Pears

Usually I'd post a Wordless Wednesday post here but today is special so I will forgo that formality.

Today my blog turns 5 and I wanted to celebrate. The cheesecake is not yet complete, but the prickly pear sauce for it is, and now you can all hear about my relationship with the prickly pear...
First off, that's not Pepto-Bismol pink. This is no shy fruit color. It will stain you and stain you well. It's Barbie pink, hot pink, not understated pink, and it's loud and proud.
Tasting of apple and watermelon, it's really a strange fruit. Not sure if these were unripe or older fruits though since they happened to taste more of Aloe vera to me, but they tasted of prickly pear and that's all that matters. Tasting subtly of prickly pear is the way to go. (Yes, I eat Aloe vera too.)
I will have pics of the chèvre cheesecake that will be drizzled with this stuff up here tomorrow and I'll include a recipe with it. 

So for now, just enjoy the warmth your computer screen is giving off because you've stopped to look at my blog. I am happy you're here and grateful too.

Here's to the next 5 years!!!
*****

Ficurinia is Sicilian dialect for prickly pear and I chose it as an online name years ago because of a story my father used to tell me about my Sicilian-American grandfather. 

As a boy, his family had driven to CA to visit my Grandma Virginia's brothers. Once over the Oregon/California border my grandfather was looking for every opportunity to stop and eat prickly pear cactus fruits. My father told me that as he sat in the car, pulled over next to the highway, he watched as his dad chowed down and other cars passed them. It embarrassed him that his father was acting like such an "immigrant" and he was ashamed. Later in life, after he'd lost his father, he regretted having felt that way. 

I never knew my grandfather since I was born after he died. This story about him always fascinated me though and I wanted to eat the fruit myself to see what it was that drew him to it. During my 20s when I had the opportunity I fell in love with them too. Though I don't eat them often, when I do, I think of my Grandpa. I think of him eating them while stationed in Italy during WWII and I imagine him eating them along the highways of CA whenever I go in search of seeds. 

Through the prickly pear I am firmly connected to what I can only call the most mysterious and special part of myself. I am a gardener and I love plants and it is a gift that comes from somewhere deep inside of me. When I close my eyes to look into the still darkness it is the prickly pear I see and it is the image connected to the tie that binds me to the earth. I should add that it connects me to the kitchen too. But more on those activities later...

Salvatore Amato, soldier (October 31, 1944).
My Sicilian great-grandfather Frank Amato, my Grandma Virginia, my father as a baby, my Grandpa Sam. (Looks to me like someone might have been working in his garden that day.

7 comments:

  1. I saw prickly pears in our grocery store last week and was surprised. That was a new offering. You make them sound good. Love the story of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're old, but you don't look at day over 4 and half! Hope the cake is fabulous, can't wait to see the finished product. Here's to another 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you; that is a beautiful concoction and this is a wonderful post. When I eat those fruit they...they....I can't say it delicately so I won't say it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you know that one of the most common species of Opuntia in the Mediterranean is O. ficus indica, aka Indian Fig. So maybe there is a connection with the words Ficurinia and ficus. Happy 5th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful story...My father waa an immigrant... he was German not Italian...but i longed to be TIalian...and will be called Nonnna someday...I have friends named Amato..that came from South Carolina...very tall and dark....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...