Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ah Swell, Seed Starting is Upon Us

Our Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' is here with its annual flush of color and we have several Hellebores blooming too. This means that is time to get ready for our annual pilgrimage to Seattle in February for the Northwest Flower & Garden Show. I am hoping this year my husband and I will have more fun than ever, but we just never know since my chronic illness—a mysterious malady—can make me miserable quite quickly.
As I sit and drink my special tea, the one I only drink when I need to feel the warm embrace of my Parisian friends and the happiness of what brought my husband and I together, I only do so as if to hold a warm security blanket. I say this because January has been a really difficult month of me, oh, and if you'd like to know the tea, its Mariage Frères "Pleine Lune."

Despite the ongoing pain from continual swelling, and the fear of having a swollen neck that can make it difficult to swallow, and sometimes breathe, I have continued to keep my hands and my mind occupied with garden-like crafts. Sales of my online boutique shops have continued, and the kids have kept coming. What I have learned from being sick like this off and on now for 10 years is that you have to simply keep going. Doing this is so hard at times because on the other hand you must learn to let other things slide. For a Virgo perfectionist like me, this has been heartbreaking and it is my real daily struggle.

I'd wanted to have had these finished a few months ago, but they are finished now and I am really happy to have made them. This is the only complete accordion seed book so far, but I learned a great deal from making it. It looks really nice too and I am so pleased with it.
These origami boxes are for seed collections too. I made these while watching a 007 movie marathon a few weeks ago. I'd wanted to roll up seed tapes in them but when the seeds were applied to the paper strips, they were simply too big. Guess I need larger origami paper!
Lastly, these are large stakes I've painted with chalkboard paint. I am not sure if I would use them outside since the chalk comes off with water so easily, but nevertheless, they look really cute. I highly recommend making some of these if you have any kind of garden themed party this upcoming season. You can get the paint at craft stores in all kinds of crazy colors. Folks also plant planters with the stuff, and I have some I've been making too, but for some reason I am thinking that the pots will chip off. We'll see and I'll let you know.
So January has been a rough time, but I have completed some goals, despite having to neglect some others. Never giving in, and never giving up can really wear a person down and I am so concerned that this year my seed starting will end up like last year's. Many of the seedlings didn't make it because I was too wrapped up in being a new foster respite provider. This year I will really need to find the balance between my needs and those of the kids.

The last year has taught me much about empathy. I empathize too much with everyone and it is really draining. Some of us are just very empathetic and although it is a skill set, it must be used responsibly.

The kids in therapeutic foster care often have little empathy for others because of what they have experienced in their lives. This is a huge challenge for many of them. Some will learn to trust others enough again in the future to really open up and feel what others feel, but others will not. My job is to be a good role model, and not to over empathize with them. I need to teach them skills and help their confidence. This is how gardening fits into the big picture and this is truly my New Year's Resolution.

With that, we begin the seed starting season: Gardening Skills 101.

If you would like to see the list of seeds I'm starting this year, please visit the tab that reads Seed Starting 2001 to the right of the HOME button above this post. 

6 comments:

  1. The things you have made are amazing...as are you. The kids are lucky to have you in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One does have to simply keep going. Each day is new unto itself. You are an inspiration! Good luck with your seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann, thank you so much for stopping by my little blog. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. You're so right about forging ahead. I have autoimmune issues and many times, I just want to crawl back into bed and never come out. Still, I keep moving forward too. We'll do it together.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey on health, foster children and gardening. I'm looking forward to reading what is next. Also, love your seed packets and origami boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your origami seedboxes. Erm, I hope I am not guilty of eye candy, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elephant's Eye,
    I like content overall and you have tons of it! Content can come in so many shapes and colors and so often it is just glossed over and impersonal. Who among us could honestly say that gardening is ever really truly about a pretty picture. It is so much dirtier, messier, and more complicated than that, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...